To Get Biblical Answers to your Questions:

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sampark December 2009: From where to where

I was born in Saharanpur (U.P.) in a Christian family. My paternal grandfather had plenty of land and property, and of his five sons my father was the eldest. After my paternal grandfather passed away, the four younger brothers demanded a division of property from my father. My father was not in favor of this division, but he had to bow to the demands of his brothers and divide the lands and property amongst the brothers. Due to this, our large home became a small dwelling place. This hurt my father very much; he became depressed, started to drink excessively and started to neglect the home, lands and cultivation and even his family. Things came to the point that those who had been employed to work in our land, by deceit, grabbed all our land, and whatever little savings we had got frittered away by my father’s habit of drinking. This brought us down to poverty.


Despite all this, we would regularly go to the Church and I would enthusiastically participate in all Church activities. If I was asked to do any religious work, I would happily do it.


If there was any convention or special meeting, I would go to attend it with my mother. I would read the Bible daily and attend Sunday School regularly. But all this had neither brought any joy within me nor any peace and comfort of salvation. I did all these as a religious tradition, and I had, in a way, become tied down to traditions and customs. My life moved on along these lines.


How it all happened

One day while returning from the House of God, a ‘believer’ friend of mine asked me a question, “Do you believe that you are a sinner?” I was very startled by her question and with self-righteousness I replied, “No, I am not a sinner; how can I be a sinner when I go to Church regularly, read the Bible daily and I have not done any bad things?” then my friend showed a verse to me from the Bible – Romans 3:23 where it was written, “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Then she showed me some 15-20 more Bible verses. I had been reading the Bible for a long time, but that day these words came to me in an absolutely new way. I listened to every word very attentively, and God’s Spirit spoke to my heart. Then my friend asked me again, “Would you like to accept the Lord Jesus as your personal savior? If yes, then you can repeat this prayer after me.” I said, “Yes, I am ready.” As I started to pray the prayer of repentance from sins, I felt very light from inside. As I finished praying, I felt as if a great burden had been lifted from my heart and a joy that could not be expressed in words had engulfed me. That day I reached home a changed person and full of joy. I started to grow in the Lord from that day onwards. Now reading God’s Word took an altogether new meaning for me.


But my family, especially my father did not like this at all. His contention was that we are familial Christians then why do you need to do all this? To make me change my decision, my youngest uncle was called from Faridabad. But by God’s grace I stood firm in my resolve. When they failed to get me to retract my decision, they started to oppose me. To overcome this difficult situation I used to spend time in fasting and praying. As the days of prayer and of Bible study would come, I would beg my father with tears to allow me to go to attend the meetings. He would soften because of my tears and allow me to go, but on the condition that this will be the last time. The sisters of the Assembly stood with me through all my difficulties. Many times they came to our home and got my father to agree to send me with them to the House of God.


In 1990 I was to sit for my school board exams but the examination dates were during the days of a special meeting being held in Dehradun. By God’s grace, I gave the first priority to the Lord and His Word. I went to Dehradun to attend the meetings as well as went the next day to give my exams. The Lord never disappoints those who trust in Him and love Him. The Lord gave me very good marks in my exams. This further strengthened my life in the Lord and helped me to grow better in Him.


What I received from Him

The real test of my faith came after the marriage of one of the sisters of the Assembly, because after that elder brothers and sisters of the Assembly started to think about my marriage too. But I was not interested in it since I knew the condition of my home. I did not want anybody to get worried about me and face problems, for I used to think who would marry me after knowing the condition of my home. But I had come to know that the elder brothers and sisters of the Assembly were working to arrange my marriage. One day I was called from my home, I knew what I was being called for. So I had decided that when they ask me, my answer will be ‘no’. But the Lord spoke to me from Ephesians 6:5, “be obedient to your masters” and so I consented to be married to Ashwini, and I was asked to pray about it.


I was ready to pray but was afraid of my parents’ reaction to this, when they would come to know of it. While praying on this subject, the Lord gave me promises from Jeremiah 31:21 and Psalm 45. This also confirmed to me that this arrangement was from the Lord. So I accepted this proposal without any doubt in my heart. I saw that the Lord does not keep His children in any uncertainty. So He gave my future mother-in-law and my future husband peace about this proposal from His Word. Thanks be to God, I was married to Ashwini on 6th January 1994.


My mother-in-law was a source of great encouragement to me. When I would score good marks in my studies, she would be happier than me and encourage me even more. She taught me many spiritual things. She was a very dedicated servant of the Lord and till her end served the Lord uncompromisingly. In her last days, I had gone with her to a doctor, and she said to me, “Dear daughter, as the Lord has loved us, you too love Him with all your heart.” This touched my heart deeply. Two days after this she passed away in a road accident. Now I am carrying on the Lord’s service she used to render. This is a great joy that comes from being a servant of the Lord.


For the Lord’s glory, I want to share with you that my family life is really wonderful. In the last 15 years of our married life, there have been no quarrels in our family. If ever there is any issue, we lovingly sort it out on the dinner table, smile at each other and enjoy our meals. My husband is an ideal husband, father and son. He has a high ranking and responsible post in the government, but by God’s grace he is a humble man. He too serves the Lord, spends time with us, and is also instrumental in bringing up our three sons in the fear of the Lord.


I thank God that He has given me a family that lives in His fear. I thank all those who have been praying for me and my family. The Lord has remained faithful in all things, small or great, in my life and will continue to be so. The Lord is good to those who trust in Him. Praise be to the Lord!

- Vinita A. Masih, Najafgarh, New Delhi

No comments:

Post a Comment